Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Day I Had Too Much Stuff

Moving from one place to another makes you realize just how much junk you really have.  I was appalled at how in just three years we seemed to have accumulated so. much. stuff!!! We didn't even have any furniture, but we somehow had boxes and boxes of odds and ends.  Now that we live in a tiny apartment, these things can no longer hide in rooms untouched or boxes in the garage.  With limited space, those boxes are visible, taunting me and reminding me that they are there, waiting to be made known.

I picked up the book from a friend called "The Life-Changing Magic of Tiding-Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organization" by the world-famous Marie Kondo.  Have you heard of it? I found it rather insightful and helpful as I've tackled these boxes and surveyed exactly what I own and WHY I own it.  I love her idea of asking yourself, "Does this particular item spark joy?" If it doesn't, get rid of it.  Simple as that, right?  The idea is to have a home filled with the things that bring joy.  If it doesn't bring joy, it isn't doing its job.  Of course, the book goes into much more detail, but I recommend the read.  I've been wanting to develop a more minimalist approach to life, and I think this book helps take those steps forward.

So now I must go! I must do ALL of the tidying and conquer the clutter within my apartment! If don't hear from me in 24 hours, call the police.  My odds and ends may have taken me prisoner in retribution for never using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment