Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Post on a Sandwich?

I got a sweet sisterly message from Erin today which said: "Dearest Caitlin. You have not updated the blog in a long while. Repent."


So here I am. Repenting. I don't even have much of an excuse why it has been so long other than my new church calling (Beehive Adviser!) and School. I wish I had an lengthy adventuresome story to tell you about how I was spending my time fighting dragons, flying to the moon, discovering a new species, etc. But alas such is the life of a college student. It is rewarding but it does not make a good story. 
So I decided to share part of my journal with you on eating a sandwich. No really, it is about a sandwich. Weird? Probably. I hope you enjoy it even though it sounds like it should be only a sentence (ex: I ate a sandwich today and it was good.)


The other day I had a fantastically amazing veggie sandwich with a homemade pesto yogurt sauce and a roasted red pepper as the 'meat' of the sandwich. I made a copycat version of the veggie sandwich from Paradise Bakery. As I ate the sandwich my heart was so full of gladness and I could feel the energy that came from the fresh vegetables and the sprouted wheat bread (Ezekiel Bread). I have never had that happen before with food. When I used to eat "comfort" food it would make me feel numb and pacified. This was totally the opposite effect. My soul was enlightened and lifted as I ate these nourishing things for my body.
I was a bit interested in why I was having a spiritual and uplifting experience while simply eating a sandwich. I read in the scriptures later on that day about the word of wisdom on LDS.org and I gained a greater understanding of why I was having this amazing experience from my meal.



In the Doctrine and Covenants 59: 17-19
17 Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;

 18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the a benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;

 19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.

 What are the Doctrine and CovenantsWord of Wisdom, or the LDS church? Click on any of these links for more information, or ask me. I would love to talk to you about it :)

I felt that strength to my body and that my soul was literally enlivened. I feel incredibly  blessed with all of the food that God has put on this earth for us. The natural healing power that we can receive from eating right. I know that it is truly a gift from the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment